We have been pretty busy the last few weeks. Nick has been working 40+ hours a week. I have been trying (emphasis on trying!) to keep up with my homework. Lillian had a birthday. My sister-in-law had a baby shower. Nick had a birthday. Catherine had a birthday. It's been pretty busy! So, since Catherine's birthday was on a Tuesday this year and I had no desire to cook or bake we took the kids to Bob Evans for dinner. They have a special on Tuesdays, one free kids meal with each adult meal purchased. Catherine got a coupon for a free meal for her birthday, so we only had to pay for 2 adult meals and 1 kids meal! Catherine also got a free sundae for her birthday. It was fun and a nice change of pace. Nick and I got her one present, the movie Tangled. She LOVES Rapunzel!
![]() |
| free birthday sundae! |
![]() |
| she got the movie Tangled |
After dinner, we went to Toys'R'Us and she got to pick out a toy for her birthday. She picked out a Rapunzel purse and a Disney princess porcelain teas set. It's a mini tea set. She loves having tea parties with her brothers and sister!
Since Catherine LOVES Rapunzel, we decided on a Rapunzel birthday party. Her party was on Saturday, April 7. She helped me decide how to decorate her cake. Aunt Rosie got her a Rapunzel dress, which she didn't want to take off!
![]() |
| Catherine in her Rapunzel dress |
I couldn't figure out what I wanted to for her birthday cake. We actually didn't decide on anything until Friday afternoon. I combined a couple ideas that I found. I really like the cake that I found on Party Crafting, but I wanted to have some sort of tower with the cake. I found a cupcake cake that used ice cream cones for the tower on Cupcake Decorating Supplies. I was really pleased with the way the cake turned out.
| The whole cake |
| close up of the tower |
| close up of the actual cake |
I baked the cakes the Friday night and I put them in the freezer over night. I made two 5-in round cakes and two 7-in round cakes. I had enough batter left to make 6 cupcakes. I used two boxes of Pillsbury white cake mix. Since Rapunzel's dress is pink and purple, I decided to color the cake pink. Saturday morning, I cut the tops off the cakes and cut each cake in half, so there was four layers of each cake. It only took me about 3 hours Saturday to decorate the cake! I was done with plenty of time to get the things set up for the party and not be rushed. That's the first time that has happened in five years! Usually I am decorating until the guests arrive! Instead of using the tub Pillsbury frosting, I used Country Kitchen buttercream icing. It taste a lot better than the buttercream I made from scratch and it worked really well when I decorated the cake.
Catherine got a lot of wonderful presents! She got a lot of really cute outfits! I think her favorite things were her Rapunzel dolls. She got two!
| Catherine with her Rapunzel dolls |
She had a great party! Thank you to all who came and shared her special day with us! When I tucked her into bed that night she asked if she could do it again!



No comments:
Post a Comment